Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

It's time for another yarn ...

It is amazing how time can pass by so fast as it has been a few weeks since I have posted anything on my blog. Life has been busy in so many ways, but luckily for me I still found some time to start something new.

Crochet and knitting have become my new obsession. In my last post I showed my Colourful Crochet Blanket  I have been working on. Progress is kind of slow as I have so many ends to tie and sew in. I think in future this will be done when I change my yarns to make it quicker and easier. Once that is finished I can then crochet on the boarder.

At the beginning of the year I purchased all the wool for my blanket and I went a little overboard. So with my left over yarn I have been able to start another two blankets one knitted and the other is crocheted.


A basket full of colour  -  my left over yarn ...

It has been quite a while since I last used a pair of knitting needles. When I was a little girl my mother would always cast on for me and I would knit until I made a mistake then I would unravel it. I think I did it to many times as I lost interest in the whole knitting thing. Well, I'm determined to have another go and hopefully I don't have to unravel much.

My sister Sophie at Hello Crafty began knitting last year and she started with the Super Easy Blanket by Purl Bee and I think this is a good place for me to start too. I began this blanket with the help from Ruth Marshall an amazing talented woman, I attend one of her classes at Hobbysew where she teachers just about anything and everything.

Firstly, she showed me how to cast onto circular knitting needles and with over 150 to do I don't think I'll forget in a hurry as it took forever. Then my addiction began - knit, knit, knit, row after row after row and before I knew it I was onto my third colour. The blanket is turning out so fluffy and soft, I am loving it even though I did unravel it a couple of times. I am still at the learning stage and undoing my stitches is still a bit tricky for me. Practice makes perfect and now I'm ever so careful with my knitting making sure there are no missed stitches or mistakes. So far so good, what do you think ...


My version of the Super Easy Blanket by Purl Bee ...

With the cooler colours of yarn put aside for the knitting, I had to find a pattern for the warmer colours that were left. I started a Rainbow Ripple Baby Blanket by Celeste Young a pattern I found on Ravelry which is in the shape of a 12 Pointed Star and the warm colours will look so good. Reading patterns is new to me and this one uses the American terms so after changing the instruction to the UK terms I began crocheting. I started this blanket in Filomena's class and thanks to her help when I got stuck the blanket is getting bigger, it is such an unusual shape but so easy to crochet.


12 Pointed Star - Rainbow Ripple Baby Blanket pattern by Celeste Young

So with three blankets on the go the hardest choice is which one to work on and when. What a predicament to be in, secretly I am having the time of my life :)





4 comments:

  1. The crochet star blanket is going great and looking lovely.... One day I am going to pick up knitting... one day....I'll give it a go... I really like all the cool colours you are using in the knitted blanket, it will gorgeous when finished. Have fun with your secret addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Filomena, you should see the blankets they are getting bigger by the day. I can't wait to show you tonight.

      Delete
  2. They look sooo pretty!
    The yarn you have looks so soft and beautiful.
    Can't wait to see the end product!
    (You need to teach me how to sew buttons... my 7 year old niece could do a better job I heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gayle hows your precious bump going, resting I hope. I can't wait to see and cuddle your little creation. The star blanket is so nice to work on and the wool is soft and so bright and getting bigger by the day. Not long to go now :) As for the buttons stay tuned because I'll be showing off my little star's work very soon.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me your lovely comment! I enjoy reading them all...